What is Carepod?
Who is behind Carepod and why?
Where to next for Carepod?
How does Carepod work?
Carepod is essentially a very simple to use project management tool, designed to help you organise the care of a family member or friend who is unwell or disabled.
At the centre of the Carepod is the person requiring assistance or care. A Carepod is usually set up by that person’s primary caregiver - frequently their partner, parent or child - although some people set up a Carepod for themselves. This person is the administrator of the Carepod. The administrator is then able to invite other people to become members of the Carepod. Administrators and members have different roles within the Carepod, as laid out below. It is possible to change a person’s role from member to administrator and vice versa at any time.
- Administrators can post an update that will be shared with their closed network of invited friends and family. This could be a report on the latest visit to the specialist, or sharing their their thoughts on a big decision. Members can then ask questions or make comments on this update. Posting this kind of information in an update means that you can communicate with everyone clearly and immediately, and don’t have to repeat yourself. Updates are the first thing people see when they log in to the Carepod.
- Only administrators can invite friends and family to become a member of a Carepod. It is entirely up to you who you choose to invite. Nobody will be able to find a particular Carepod without being invited. To add a Carepod member go to ‘Friends and Family’ and then click ’Invite member’. Invited people will receive an email explaining what Carepod is, and asking them to join the Carepod.
- Upload photos and pictures to the image gallery.
- They can ask for assistance from their Carepod network. This could be a request for help with physical therapy, or for someone to give you a lift to the hospital. To ask for assistance go to ‘Assistance’ and then click ‘Add Task’. Tasks must be assigned a due date, but don’t worry, you can change this as much as you need. Carepod members can then volunteer for that task, by clicking ‘I can do this’. Depending on your situation, you might choose to put everything that needs to be done in here and take responsibility for some of the tasks yourself, or you may limit this to tasks you need somebody else’s help with.
- Administrators can edit any entry in the guestbook, regardless of who posted it. Members can only edit their own guestbook entries. The guestbook is similar to the update section of Carepod, but where updates are a tool for the Carepod administrator to communicate with its members, the Guestbook is for members to communicate with each other and with the Administrator.
- Create events, like birthdays or visits from family in the calendar. Tasks are also automatically fed into the calendar so you can get a full picture of what’s happening now and in the future.
How computer-literate do Carepod users have to be?
What do I need to use Carepod and what platforms does it run on?
How do I close my Carepod?
How do I remove a member from my Carepod?
Two Carepods exist for the same person. How can we merge them?
Why can’t I import my contacts into Carepod?
How do I add or remove an admin account?
Why can’t I upload an image?
Cost of Carepod
What does Carepod cost?
Why is Carepod free?
We are also interested in working on bespoke versions of Carepod for non-profit and commercial health providers that cater to the particular needs of their clients. To this end, we are currently trialling a relationship with GMHBA, an Australian not-for-profit health fund that will offer a branded version of Carepod to their members for free. They will not have access to Carepod or any Carepod data. We are very excited to be working with GMHBA, who place the wellbeing of their members and local communities at the heart of everything they do.
Income made from commercial partnerships will support the free use of Carepod for the general public.
Privacy and Security
How do I know my information is safe?
- We have a secure private repository that only we can access. The server is firewalled and is only accessible via a web browser (to view the site) and over secure shell (SSH).
- No third parties are able to view information within the Carepod.
- All password information is encrypted using a non-reversable algorithm.
Where is my data stored?